Thursday, November 8, 2012

A few words on forgiveness

Forgiveness defines Christianity. 
At the center of my book, The Sunday Monday Paradox, I remind my audience that at the heart of love lays three values – charity,humility and forgiveness Remember, forgiveness is showing charity and humility to others even when, nay, especially when they fail to do so for us.
Jesus + put forgiveness at the center of our faith.  When He instructs us how we should pray, He reminds us that we are in relation to one another and that we are called to forgive.  It’s not a suggestion.  It’s a commandment.  If we are to expect forgiveness, we MUST forgive.
Other major religions focus on the individual or omit forgiveness.  As a result of their imperfect nature, humanity plunges into a never-ending spiral of grudges and conflict. 
When we fail to forgive or imperfectly forgive, we introduce such waste into the world.  We harm creation and we damage ourselves; we cut ourselves off from Divine Mercy and divorce ourselves from our Creator. 
Yet with so much at stake, forgiveness comes so difficult. 
If this world makes you weary and you feel you’re swimming upstream on the way to nowhere, look at the way you’re swimming.  Examine yourself and how you forgive.
Generally, I think I’m able to forgive easily and completely.  And such burdens have been removed from me and as a result, so has much stress and anxiety.  But that has come over many years.  And still, there is one person who I have not forgiven.  Even after many years, and unknown to him, I try and I try but without success. I feel the waste my lack causes me as a result.  To let grudges and judgment affect my actions is to lose self-possession.  So I’ll pray for help and try again.  I hope you will too.
In Him +

No comments:

Post a Comment